The following is a list of all the artists that created murals in Wisconsin during the New Deal.
As I’ve been doing my research I felt it might be helpful for others so I decided to write-up an article with my findings.
If you ever visit the National Archives in Washington DC, then you may notice this comes in handy.
Some of the records and files are organized by state. Other records are organized by the name of the artists.
I found it useful to have a listing of both. So here it is.
Wisconsin New Deal Post Office Mural Artist.
- Berlin – Raymond Redell
- Black River Falls – Frank Buffmire
- Chilton – Charles W Thwaites
- Columbus – Arnold Blanch
- De Pere – Lester W Bentley
- Edgerton – Vladimir Rousseff
- Elkhorn – Tom Rost
- Fond Du Lac – Boris Gilbertson
- Hartford- Ethel Spears
- Hayward – Stella E Harlos
- Hudson – Ruth Grotenrath
- Janesville – Boris Gilbertson
- Kaukauna – Vladimir Rousseff
- Kewaunee – Paul Faulkner
- Ladysmith – Elsa Jemne
- Lake Geneva – George A Dietrich
- Lancaster – Tom Rost
- Mayville – Peter Roiter
- Milwaukee – Frances Foy
- Neillsville – John Van Koert
- Oconomowoc – Edward Morton
- Park Falls – James Waltrous
- Plymouth – Charles W Thwaites
- Prairie Du Chien – Jefferson E Greer
- Reedsburg – Richard Jansen
- Rice Lake – Forest Flower
- Richland Center – Richard Brooks
- Shawano – Eugene Higgins
- Sheboygan – Schomer Lichtner
- Stoughton – Edmund D Lewandoski
- Sturgeon Bay – Santos Zingle
- Viroqua – Forrest Flower
- Waupaca – Raymond Redell
- Wausau – Gerritt Sinclair
- West Bend – Peter Roiter
There are a total of 28 artist that were commissioned artwork in Wisconsin in regards to post offices.
A few of the artists received multiple commissions and have art in more than one building. The following artists have two or more murals in Wisconsin.
- Raymond Redell – Berlin and Wapaca
- Charles W Thwaities – Chilton and Plymouth
- Vladimir Rousseff – Edgerton and Kaukauna
- Tom Rost – Elkhorn and Lancaster
- Boris Gilbertson – Fond Du Lac and Janesville
- Forrest Flower – Rice Lake and Viroqua
- Peter Rotier – Mayville and West Bend
You may also find it useful that the archives also has Artist Biographies. Sadly not all are there, but it was a nice find during my last trip to the archives this year.