Geneva, IL 60134
Title of the artwork: “Fish Fry in the Park”
Artists: Manuel A. Bromberg
January 11, 2012
I was sad to see the Geneva Post Office for sale when I visited. I learned about this one being for sale while I was doing some basic research. I made a point to visit today because I wanted the opportunity to view the inside of the building before it is sold off.
The Geneva, Illinois post office is currently on the market for $990,000, according the US Properties For Sale website.
It’s a great older building with great architecture. The mural has already been removed as I did not see it during my visit. I’m wondering what happened to it. The Geneva History Center has a nice display case of older photographs in the lobby. It was nice to see these and I wonder what will happen to them when the building is sold.
It made me a little sad to see the slow deterioration of the building. I hope whoever purchases the property will keep the look and feel of this iconic building. A part of me wishes I had the means or use for this building, I’d buy it myself.
If anyone wishes to share their feelings about this one I’d love to hear from you.
Thanks for reading
Updated January 2016
I had the pleasure of re-visiting this building in January of this year. This was one of the first buildings I was made aware of that were for sale. Once I knew this I wanted to photograph the mural before it was sold and it private hands.
After visiting this year, I discovered the building is no longer for sale and the mural was restored and re-installed in the lobby.
I’m disappointed that I missed the rededication as outlined in the Patch but I’m even more delighted the mural has returned and the building is no longer for sale.
Here are my photographs.
“Used with the permission of the United States Postal Service®. All rights reserved.”
- Personal visit on 1/11/2011 and 1/2/2016 by David, Post Office Freak
- Parma Conservation (http://www.parmaconservation.com)
- United States Postal Service (http://about.usps.com/news/state-releases/il/2011/il_2011_0105.htm)
- (affiliate link) Democratic Vistas: Post Offices and Public Art in the New Deal: [Hardcover] Marlene Park, Gerald E. Markowitz
- Patch (http://patch.com/illinois/geneva/bp–program-on-the-post-office-mural)
- Living New Deal: (www.livingnewdeal.org)
- (affiliate link) A Guide to Depression Era Art in Illinois Post Offices: [Pamphlet] Mary Emma Thompson, PH. D.