Herrin, IL 62948
Title of the artwork: “George Rogers Clark Conferring with Indians near Herrin”
Artists: Gustaf Dalstrom
I made a special trip to visit Herrin, Illinois. If you are looking for a story where the art was almost lost and then recovered and returned to its rightful place, then this is the one you want. I don’t see any reason to re-write what has already been said about this mural. But what I can say is that its one of the great success stories of art being recovered to its original place. This article by the Southern says it all.
When people ask why I do this, Why I travel thousands of miles to see these. This is one reason why, to bring stories like this to life. I’m really excited to learn that I’m not the only one who cares about these treasures.
Thanks for stopping by
“Used with the permission of the United States Postal Service®. All rights reserved.”
- Personal visit on 5/24/2014 by David, Post Office Freak
- (affiliate link) Democratic Vistas: Post Offices and Public Art in the New Deal: [Hardcover] Marlene Park, Gerald E. Markowitz
- Living New Deal: (www.livingnewdeal.org)
- (affiliate link) A Guide to Depression Era Art in Illinois Post Offices: [Pamphlet] Mary Emma Thompson, PH. D.
- Parma Conservation: (http://parmaconservation.com/newdealpostoffic.html)