600 W. Jefferson St.
Morton, IL 61550
Title of the artwork: “Spirit of Communication”
Artists: Charles Umlauf
Type: Stone Relief
Morton, Illinois was another stop during a weekend trip back in September of 2015. This is another example where the art was moved form the old building to the new post office.
It was Sunday when we visited and the retail area of the lobby was closed. Which also happens to be where the art is. I was disappointed, but took pictures though the glass. Some turned out ok while others are just blurry. I guess I’ll have to re-visit this in the future again.
We also found the original building which is now the Morton Municipal building. For more on that building head over here.
Thanks for stopping by,
“Used with the permission of the United States Postal Service®. All rights reserved.”
- Personal visit on 9/6/2015 by David, Post Office Freak
- Illinois New Deal Post Office List (www.postofficefreak.com)
- (affiliate link) Democratic Vistas: Post Offices and Public Art in the New Deal: [Hardcover] Marlene Park, Gerald E. Markowitz
- Living New Deal: (www.livingnewdeal.org)
- (affiliate link) A Guide to Depression Era Art in Illinois Post Offices: [Pamphlet] Mary Emma Thompson, PH. D.